Thursday, April 3, 2014

Komachi Komachi Komachi

Greetings, from the Komachi dorms of Akita International University, in Akita, Akita Prefecture, Japan.

By which I mean, hey, I've arrived!

Dorm life in Komachi is pretty similar to that in the Fairhaven Dorms, for those of you who are familiar with it. For those who aren't, there's a common lounge where everyone hangs out with no particular goals or purpose (unless you're Chris, who has evidently decided to meet and become friends with every single person here, or Masato, whom I just saw rush through with a very determined gait and a look of mild panic his eyes). I've met lots of people here, and in the dining hall. Everyone is very friendly.

Speaking of the dining hall, the ladies who work there, who speak next to no English, have already learned my face. Upon my arrival to the meal counter, a look of recognition will cross their faces an someone will say, "ah, bejitarian!" I get special meals... they're mostly just rice and vegetable but I do really appreciate them.

Oh, also in this school- there are vending machines EVERYWHERE. This is the Komachi lounge I was talking about earlier:.

 
 
Yesterday was very eventful. I took my placement test (I've been called back today for additional verbal testing, because apparently I'm confusing) had lots of orientations, and played soccer on the main lawn. Actually, the soccer warrants some more explanation. I was exiting a building upon completion of my third orientation of the day, and noticed that there were people playing on the main lawn. There was a group with badmitten rackets and a birdie, a few people with a Frisbee (I almost got hit with it) a group of girls playing with a soccer ball. . . and a large number of boys who were actually playing soccer. The girls invited me to join them when I walked past, and I was torn for a moment because I'd met some of them before and wanted to become better friends. But, and Opa, you'll be proud of me, I wanted to play real soccer. So I politely declined, grabbed my running shoes, and joined the boys. It was the most fun I've had since I got here.
 
 I also got to draw everyone at my table during an orientation event, because we were instructed to draw ourselves and they liked my drawings.
 
On  an unrelated note, I want to impress upon you all how utterly tiny this campus is. I thought Western was small. Its so easy to get around here, because nothing's more than a minute's walk away! On Saturday there's free shuttle service to town, so I'll find out how big Akita city is then. I'm excited for it.
 
 
This is the library. It's very pretty.
 


 For those of you who want to contact me by mail (please do) I will list my address below. Sorry it's so long. Apparently, the school has its own Zip code (cause it's kinda out in the sticks...)
 
Naomi Barnett
Komachi Hall Room 437
Akita International University
193-3 Aza-Okutsubakidai
Tsubakigawa, Yuwa
Akita City, Akita 010-1211
Japan
 
 
Send me letters!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment