This group, in fact, minus our friend Nayu who left early.
Once we got to the beach area, there was the usual stripping of clothing and shuffling of extra swimwear to the people who'd forgotten to bring their own, and then we all went into the water. After around 20 minutes or so of normal, we're-in-shallow-water-with-friends-type activities, we spied a couple of men on jet skis a little ways out. While we watched, they seemed to notice us as well, and came over. Neither of them spoke any English whatsoever, but we managed to make out that they were offering to let us go for a ride (it helped that we had Kouta with us, and he actually, you know, speaks Japanese). Of course we said yes, and so for the next several hours we all took turns riding, driving, and being towed behind (on a large yellow inflatable raft) the jet skis.
An activity interrupted only by a completely necessary sword fight with conveniently-sized driftwood.
After the first round of crazy jet ski adventures, we all stood around with the jet ski guys and their families (they were having a bit of a BBQ) and talked for awhile. Then, out of seemingly nowhere, the two initial riders decided that they wanted to have one more go, and let three of us tag along. This happened to be Paula, Kouta, and I, although after an initial couple of minutes Kouta fell off and swam back to shore. Seeing this, I transferred from the jet ski Paula and I were on to the newly un-passengered one, and then the fun began. Our two drivers, you see, decided that the best way to let their mildly terrified passengers experience the thrills of jet skiing was to have a sort of "who can do the craziest stunts without capsizing" competition. There was a point in time where they seemed on a fairly steady track to creating a miniature whirlpool between the two of them, as they were both driving in the same circle with a considerable amount of speed. Later on I was treated to the full extent of a jet ski's power and speed, as my driver pressed down fully on the gas and took off into the ocean. It was one of the best experiences I've ever had. I don't think I've felt that much uncontaminated happiness in a long, long time.
Paula and I with one of the drivers, Kohei.
A rather useless picture of us playing what appeared to be the Japanese jet ski version of chicken. We were far enough out that there were no clear pictures taken of us while we were riding.
We did have to leave eventually, and so we went back to Akita city for dinner. We ended up getting Okonomiyaki, make-it-yourself style, which was as delicious as it always is. The self-cooking did cause the meal to last a little longer than it otherwise would have, but it was a generally good time for all. Crepes were acquired at a stand near the station for dessert, and then we started our journey homewards.
All in all, I'd say it was a successful day out at the beach.




No comments:
Post a Comment