Thursday, December 18, 2014

They're Dancing Choreographed Steps to Techno Christmas Carols Behind Me

Japan takes instant food to the next level. 

So today I got this really strong craving for, of all things, fried chicken. This was problematic for two reasons; a) not having any around and b) I've been pescatarian for over two years now and therefor would not eat it anyways. 

Thinking that perhaps I was merely hungry and craving salt, I took a brief trip to the student store, where I found this:

Seems normal enough, doesn't it? Clams in miso soup, can't go wrong with that.

Since this seemed likely to contain both protein and a significant amount of salt (cheap miso is nothing if not salty) I purchased it and carried it back to my table. But then I opened it and, well, it's just one of the oddest prepackaged meals I've ever laid eyes on.

That would be a small packet of miso paste, nothing too odd... And a vacuum-packed, precisely separated set of the tiniest clams I've ever seen. And that's it. I purchased a cardboard cup with a packet of miso and some vacuum packed tiny clams. 

The instructions firmly forbade the use of a microwave, so I got some hot water from the cafeteria and made myself some soup. It was actually fairly good, for what it was. Salty enough to appease my strange cravings, at least, and clammy enough to evoke the memory of better quality seafood without being too overpowering.


Anyways, back to packing and laundry- only 3 days left here! Soon I'll be in Tokyo, trying to remember how to dance.


No comments:

Post a Comment