Friday, July 11, 2014

Obligatory Food Post

Due to the numerous amount of pictures I seem to be taking of my cooking concoctions, I think it's high time I pay homage to the proud and noble Food Blog.

Although to be honest, I have absolutely no idea how to do that.

Well, to get started, I think I should reacquaint you all with my kitchen amenities. Basically, I have two options: the Komachi kitchen downstairs, which has pay-per-use burners and what pass as ovens, or my room, which includes a small fridge and an even smaller hot plate. No really, the thing's about the size of my head.

In the spirit of defiance and laziness, I have been doing my best to cook almost exclusively in my room. This means that we get set ups like this: 

Fridge as a countertop/stove-holder, hot plate with a pot of rice on it, and a pan on top of that to simultaneously hold the steam in and used it to heat the tofu. 

Yes, it is mildly ridiculous. But it actually works. That particular cooking adventure resulted in a delicious rice and marinated tofu meal, with a side of cabbage salad with homemade dressing and fried onions and tomatoes.

I am somewhat lacking in holding appliances. Yes that is a peanut butter jar lid. It makes an excellent plate.

A few weeks ago I also made these creations in here, which turned out rather well (and quite photogenically), if I do say so myself:

Tasty food was tasty. I'm eating a lot of tofu and noodles and rice. Also carrots, because they last the longest when I buy them in bulk and can be added to practically any meal.

Basically, the only time I use the komachi kitchen is when I want to bake. I have made numerous batches of cookies in there, as well as several cakes. There was my birthday cake, which you may remember from previous postings... 

Whenever people ask me why I made my own birthday cake I just look at them and say, "who else was going to make me a double layer Guinness chocolate coconut whipped cream cake?" 

Then there was the chocolate mushroom cake Cami and I baked on a whim:

Double layer cake with chocolate frosting (I've been using tofu along with margarine as a thickener, it actually works marvelously), topped with chocolate mushrooms and cookies 'n cream Hershey's kisses. 
Also pictured: Cami.

And most recently, a carrot cake that was made purely because I had too many carrots on hand.

So, I don't really know how to pose for food pictures... This was what seemed the most natural.

In all it's half-eaten glory. I am still quite proud of that carrot.

In somewhat related news, I am also very happy to report that the cafeteria's restaurant section has resumed its sales of lunchtime Udon for 245 yen a bowl. This pleases me greatly. I was somewhat distraught for the week they didn't have it.

Anyhow, I think that is about it. I have cooked many more things but either forgot to photograph them or refrained intentionally from doing so due to insufficient photogeneity in the subject matter. 

Google tells me photogeneity is not a word. I am going to leave it here because I think it should be.

Sometime in the near future I intend to test the microwave oven's abilities to produce adequate dutch babies. Hopefully they will achieve acceptable levels of poofiness. I must spread the dutch baby love. I've been fairly successful so far, I think there are several people reading this who now know and love the deliciousness of a good dutch baby due to my influence. Perhaps I will be successful yet again!









No comments:

Post a Comment